Our Food Pantry serves an average of 150 individuals and families with bagged groceries each week. Monday – Thursday – 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Friday – 3 – 7 p.m.
- Helper – Volunteers are needed to assist with sorting, bagging and distributing food.
- Office Assistance – Volunteers are needed to complete intake forms and verify client’s documents. Must be able to write legibly and interact/communicate with a versatile group of people.
Volunteers are needed for opening boxes, sorting and storing food; also assist with maintaining the warehouse cleanliness. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. or more. Monday – Friday, 12 – 4 p.m.
Our Kitchen prepares and serves up to 500 people daily to the residents of the various programs of The Salvation as well as to the homeless and any one that comes to our door for the evening meal. Daily 5:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Kitchen Helper – Volunteers are need to assist with food and salad bar preparation, dessert slicing and plating, serving meals (cafeteria style) and general cleaning of the kitchen and dining areas.
- Dishwasher – Volunteers are needed to wash plate ware, glassware, silverware, pots/pans and kitchen utensils and place on specified shelves according to sanitation and cleaning procedures. Keeps dish areas clean by sweeping, mopping floors, wiping countertops, and emptying trash.
Meal Ministry Program
Serving the hungry is a meaningful and life-changing experience. A compassionate heart and the desire to interact and serve dinner to the homeless and the hungry is all that is required. Service hours are every evening of the year from 6:00 until 7:00 P.M. and Sunday mornings 8:30 – 9:30 A.M.
Have you always wanted to help after a disaster but didn’t know how to get involved? Train now to be a Canteen volunteer! The Canteen is the response vehicle that The Salvation Army sends to local emergencies and to disaster stricken areas to serve food and beverage to survivors and service workers. Volunteers are needed to prepare and serve food and beverages, drive and set up the vehicle and clean and maintain the vehicle. Short term assignments are usually up to a 24 hour period and long term opportunities usually lasts up to 14 days.
- Office/Clerical /Data Entry – Do you have great keyboarding skills? We need volunteers to help with data entry projects (accuracy a must). Times for these opportunities varies.
Stuff the Bus
- Sorting and bagging school supplies – When our School Supply Drive is completed, volunteers are need to sort and bag these supplies based on a listed of items needed by grade level for children of pre-registered families.
- Distribution to Families – Pre registered Families are scheduled to come and pick up the bags of school supplies for their children. Volunteers are needed in various positions to assist in getting these families served.
Holiday Applications Clerk
The Salvation Army accepts applications from families seeking holiday assistance, screening each family to ensure their financial eligibility. We need detail-oriented individuals and groups who enjoy interacting with a diverse population to assist us with document verification and completion of the application 8 a.m. – 12 noon each weekday morning and two Saturdays in October. This is a crucial first step in helping those truly in need to have a brighter holiday season. Pleasant surroundings and a great group project. Excellent community service opportunity for students in a social services track.
Angel Tree Attendants
After all the applications are completed, each child’s information 12 years and younger information is transferred to a paper angel tags. Some of these angels are hung on Christmas trees in the lobby of local malls. This is where you come in. We are looking for individuals willing to sit at a table next to the Tree and distribute Angel Tree bags to those who select Angel tags and record the Angel tag identification and the donor’s contact information in the log book.
This Thanksgiving Day, you will probably have the opportunity to sit down to a special meal with love ones around the table. We want to make this a possibility for the less fortunate of our community. Here’s how you can help.
- Sorting and Packing Grocery Items – We need plenty of volunteers to help with sorting and packaging of grocery items that will make up a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
- Distribution of Boxes to Families – After all the boxes are filled with the fixings for a traditional Thanksgiving meal based on family size, we need you to help with the distribution of it. Pre-registered families come a few days before Thanksgiving Day to pick up their box of goodies.
Income from our Red kettles supports our seasonal activities as well as other programs that benefit struggling individuals and families. Businesses, churches, civic clubs, schools, families, friends and individuals can sign up to ring at any of our kettle location around Northeast Florida. There are many 2-hour, half-day, full-day and full week slots available. Sign up early to get your preferred location and dates!
Volunteers with a clean driving record needed Monday through Saturday for pickup and delivery of items that assists the success of the delivery of the Christmas Programs. You must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. You will assist with Logistics Coordinator duties as assigned.
Christmas Driver Assistants
Volunteers are needed Monday through Saturday to work with the driver for pickup and delivery of items that assists the success of the delivery of the Christmas Programs. You must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. You will assist with Logistics Coordinator duties as assigned.
Angel Tree gifts and filled stockings are distributed at our Toy Shop a few days prior to Christmas. Each phase of this project is another opportunity that is excellent for groups both small and large.
- Setup Team – This huge project requires facility preparation and several weeks of hands-on sorting and pre-determined placement of Angel bags, weekdays, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. during the month of December.
- Distribution of Angel Bags – Each pre-registered family for this program was given an appointment to pick up Angel Bags and stockings for their children. Many volunteer positions are available during this 2-1/2 day process on one or both shifts 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Breakdown/Cleanup Team – After all the families have received their Angel Bags and stockings the facility must be returned to its original status. Volunteers are needed for this 2 day process 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Volunteers are needed to give support to students academically in subject(s) our shelter children are seeking to improve. Instill the value of education for personal growth and development. Ability to communicate well with people of diverse backgrounds, maintain a non-judgmental attitude, be culturally sensitive. Patience is extremely helpful. A play room is provided with various books and learning materials. The ideal hours would be between 3:30 – 8 p.m. A maximum one hour of your time per visit. A background check is required.
Hosting a Bingo Game
Have an inclination for games? This is a 4th Thursday event where we open to the public (our transient population after night feeding). Prizes cards and pens are provided. A committed host is needed to call and entertain. Option is open for another available Thursday. A maximum 4 volunteers are needed from 7 – 8 p.m.
Hosting a Birthday Party
This could be your opportunity to be a part of a special celebration and fulfill some laughter and smiles through a family’s transition to stable housing. Once a month you can have the opportunity to sponsor a birthday party for children of our homeless shelter to attend and for children to enjoy the excitement!
The monetary value is at the sponsor’s discretion to accommodate up to 20 children. Festivities are to be considered for 3rd weekend of the month.
Arrangements to be made by sponsor and notifying Social Services Coordinator of place and time. Social Services Coordinator will confirm with you exact name and age of child for the month and be able to provide transportation of client families. A Tax-exemption form is available upon request. Suggested list provided.